Friday, April 29, 2016

Book Review :: That's NOT Hay In My Hair by Juliette Turner

That's NOT Hay In My Hair is a new book by teen author Juliette Turner. 
Because That's NOT Hay In My Hair is a teen/tween book, I am going to hand this over to my daughter for the review (*spoilers included*):

Juliette (Jules) Turner lives in a very cramped apartment in New York. So cramped, in fact, that when she takes a bath, it floods the bathroom! Jules is about to move to Texas, where her mom grew up and where Jules lived when she was younger. When they first arrive, Jules is almost thrown off her horse, R2 (named after R2-D2!), her mom is, and they encounter a (harmless, but scary!) snake. Jules and her mom go from rescuing calves from a dry ravine to untangling a horse from a wire fence! But none of that can compare to how scary it was to have their other horse, Maggie May, get foundered, which means her hoof doesn't have enough "sole" between her hoof bone and her "sole wall". Jules and her mom face a very hard time caring for Maggie, until she finally dies. Jules finds that Texans are the best kind of friends when they're there to comfort them.

I asked my daughter a few questions about That's NOT Hay In My Hair - here they are with her responses:

Was the book interesting?
Yes.
Do you plan to read it again?
Yes!
What did you like about this book?
That it was very...emotional. You really got to know Jules, and everything that happened seemed like it was happening to you.
What (if anything) did you NOT like about this book?
There was a lot of detail in some parts, and in other parts there was none. When the cows chased after them, there was about one page on that subject, as if it were normal!
Would you recommend this book to others your age?
Yes.
What ages do you think would enjoy this book best?
Maybe 10 to 15
Any other comments about this book?
No.
Out of a total of 5 possible stars, what would you rate this book?
4 stars.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: