Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Book Review :: Doodletopia Cartoons (Draw, Design, and Color Your Own Super-Fun Cartoon Creations) by Christopher Hart


Doodletopia Cartoons by Christopher Hart is such a fun book! It combines instruction, inspiration, and a space for your doodles all in one. This book is intended to be drawn in. 
Doodletopia Cartoons is divided into 10 sections (not counting the introduction). They are:
- Warm Up
- Fill In The Silhouette
- Draw The Other Half
- Select Different Expressions
- Choose And Design The Animals
- Dress Up Your Cartoons
- Finish The Funny Couples
- Write In Cartoon Calligraphy
- Draw Ridiculous Inventions
- Complete The Cartoons

What I love about Doodletopia Cartoons is that it is a very well-rounded experience in cartoon drawing. It is not limited to one drawing subject (people, animals, etc.) but includes a variety of things to draw, including several types of lettering.

The book is printed in two color scales - grayscale and bluescale. The bluescale words and drawings are helpful tips and guides (such as center lines and eye lines on characters) to help you perfect your cartoons. I love the variety of skills that Doodletopia Cartoons covers, such as the "Draw The Other Half" section. I particularly loved the section "Choose And Design The Animals" where it shows how the same basic shapes can be used to draw two different animals (such as a turtle and an armadillo).

The one major problem that I see with Doodletopia Cartoons is that I have three kids who love to draw (and I do, too!)...and we have one copy of this book.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the Blogging for Books book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: