Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Book Review :: I Want To Be Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook by Stephen Elkins

The Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook is a unique approach to a devotional style book for little ones. Rather than focusing on stories (Jesus calms the storm, Jesus heals a man, etc.) the Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook focuses on 40 character traits of Jesus (Jesus worked hard, Jesus had a pure heart, Jesus showed love, etc.). I am not sure "storybook" is the appropriate label for the Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook - it would be more correct to call it a "devotional", in my opinion.  The majority of the Scripture quotations in the Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook are taken from the New Living Translation (NLT), but I believe I also saw one from the New International Version (NIV).
In the Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook, each character trait of Jesus is made into a short section.

Each of the 40 sections contain the following 4 pages:
- Title page (showing a picture, a Bible verse,  and "Jesus _____"...announcing the characteristic of Jesus that will be talked about)
- "Jesus in the Bible" (how the character trait was displayed in Jesus' life)
- "Jesus in Me" (how the character trait can be displayed in our life)
- "Prayer for Today" (a short prayer)

I love the idea of focusing of Jesus' character in this way and think that the Just Like Jesus Bible Storybook is a great way to share more about who Jesus is (not just the stories) with little ones.
FTC Declaration: Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: