Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book Review :: One Thousand Gifts Devotional by Ann Voskamp

One Thousand Gifts Devotional is a devotional by blogger and author of the popular book One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp.

One Thousand Gifts Devotional is a hardcover book with an attached ribbon bookmark. (The hardcover is just as you see it in the preview image, there is no dust jacket.)

Ann Voskamp has a very particular style of writing (very flowery and somewhat disjointed, in my opinion), and it takes me awhile to get in the mode. If you have read her blog or her book (One Thousand Gifts), you will be familiar with her writing style. I felt this was even more difficult to manage in a devotional than I did in her book, simply because devotionals are intended to be "digested" in small portions. At first, it took me reading about 5 devotionals in a row (in one sitting) for it to really start sinking in.

Each of the 60 devotions in One Thousand Gifts Devotional is followed by a short prayer and then the remainder of the last page is lined (for notes, prayers, etc.). In a few cases the prayer ends at the very end of a page, and, in these cases, there is no lined space.

The devotions have recurring themes such as: grace, joy, thankfulness, and trust. Some devotionals will flow into the next (more like a story), and some do not. (I did not feel like the devotionals in One Thousand Gifts Devotional were just snippets or portions from the One Thousand Gifts book, but it has been awhile since I read the book, so I may be forgetting. The reason I mention that is that I do not feel like it would be a waste to own both books.)

Yes, there are also 1000 lines (numbered) at the very back of One Thousand Gifts Devotional to record your own list of one thousand gifts. 

I have had quite a few "lightbulb" moments from reading both One Thousand Gifts and One Thousand Gifts Devotional, but I also know that Ann Voskamp's writing style can be difficult to tackle. I feel like these are both great choices for reading and will benefit you if you have the time to get into Ann Voskamp-mode. :o)
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: