Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter Eggs (Four Ways) Using Your Craft Supplies


Well...it's no secret that Easter is right around the corner. Although I believe the Easter holiday is all about Jesus (and not about some Easter bunny), I can't deny that Easter and eggs go together. I decided to see what I could do using my craft supplies (washi tape, twine, Color Shine mists, and watercolor paint) to decorate some eggs.
For the first set of eggs, I used some washi tape and twine to decorate these eggs. The tissue tape from Tim Holtz went on the eggs fabulously - I love the vintage look and the thinness of the tape helped it to lay on nicer than some other washi tapes I tried. I finished off the eggs with The Twinery's Solid Natural & Solid Caribbean twine.
For the second set of eggs, I used mists (Heidi Swapp's Color Shine) to create a marbled effect. For this technique, I laid each egg on a piece of plastic wrap, sprayed the egg heavily with Color Shine, and then loosley wrapped the egg, allowing the plastic wrap to scrunch up around the egg. After the mist had dried, I was left with this beautiful, marbled look.
I gave washi tape another try for this next set of eggs. I did a couple different techniques, with the small pieces of tape giving the least wrinkled look. I do like the wrinkled look for some purposes, but when you are looking for a smoother application your best bet will be to use small pieces of washi tape, collage style.
The last look I attempted was an ombré effect. For this one, I used my basic watercolor paints and a paint brush - but instead of painting with water, I painted with vinegar. This allows the paint to dry more quickly and keeps the colors vibrant.
No matter how you dye it, twine it, washi it, or mist it...I hope you have a fantastic Easter. 

He is risen!


Supplies:
Washi Tape: My Mind's Eye (Pink Chevron, Gold Polka Dots); Pretty Little Washi Tape (Aqua Polka Dot, Green Floral); Tim Holtz (Nostalgic); etsy (Blue Lace);
Twine: The Twinery (Solid Caribbean, Solid Natural); 
Other: Crayola (Watercolor Paints);
Tools: Fiskars (Scissors); 

2 comments:

Marianne B in AZ said...

Tifany,
Your kids will be hunting for the fanciest eggs in town! I really like the blue washi tape egg. Happy Easter to you and your family!

Caravan Sonnet said...

These are so adorable!! I have never thought to put the washi tape around the eggs! Loved that! :) I am so excited to "connect" more with you here and read more on your blog! I have been having the most lovely time reading through your blog and getting to know you a little bit! I am on the design team (for the twinery) with you and can't wait to connect more! You are so creative and inspiring!! :) Hope you have a lovely week!
:) Rebecca
www.caravansonnet.com