Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Book Review :: Whatever You Grow Up To Be by Karen Kingsbury, Illustrated by Valeria Docampo

Use Grammarly's grammar check because... ain't no checker like Grammarly's grammar checker.
('Cause Grammarly's grammar checker don't stop!)

Whatever You Grow Up To Be is a children's picture book written in rhyme by Karen Kingsbury. This book takes you through the journey of a little boy's birth and life up through the birth of his son. At each stop in time along the way, there is a mention of a job or life role that the boy may fill in his life (firefighter, businessman, father, etc.). It is a short, sweet look at the different stages of life. Each stage of the story is wonderfully illustrated by Valeria Docampo. On many of the pages there are Bible verses that tie in with the story and/or illustrations - some seem to be taken a bit more out of context than others.

I love Karen Kingsbury's novels and was so excited to get my hands on one of her children's books. I was a little disappointed in the way that the story seemed to be somewhat choppy. It seems to me that the book would have benefited from a little more transition from one stage to the next and a bit more consistency in the perspective of the story.

Overall, I think the illustrations outweigh the story in this case, but I will enjoy keeping this book on my shelf and reading it to my children.

FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through BookSneeze®. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: