Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Review :: Unglued Devotional by Lysa TerKeurst

Unglued Devotional: 60 Days of Imperfect Progress

I am going to start off by saying that I know that there is a book by Lysa TerKeurst called "Unglued", but I have not read it. Although the devotional was helpful on it's own, I would imagine that reading "Unglued" first would be probably be beneficial in having a little more background on some of the ideas and phrases the author uses.

The book is described as intending to help "positively process raw emotions, such as fear, anger, and regret".  It is divided into 60 days (usually about 2-3 pages per day), but I didn't take 60 days to go through it - I can see a benefit both in taking it at the 60-day pace and in going through it faster.

The book felt to me like I was reading over the shoulder of the author as she wrote in her diary or on her blog, but she knew I was there reading so she acknowledged me sometimes. It was not the style I was expecting. (I was expecting more "talking" directly to me, and not in the very informal "Hey, chick-a-dee!" type approach that the author sometimes took...that was a bit awkward for me.)

I feel like the type of person who would most benefit from this devotional is someone who is wanting to know that they are not the only one struggling with being "unglued" and who will enjoy getting a few tips along the way.

As far as overall practicality, I don't think I would suggest this book. Yes, it has helped me grow...I am not denying that. But out of the 60 devotionals, probably less than a quarter (15) of them really highlighted specific tips for dealing with  struggles - not as many as I had hoped. {I am talking about specific tips beyond "read the Bible" and "pray". And YES, I do believe we should be doing those things, but I don't need to read a devotional to remember those.}
As far as being inspirational, I would suggest this book. It is nice to know you are not the only one who messes up and wants to get control of those situations. My book is filled with flags marking quotes that really made me stop and think.

All things considered I am thankful that I read this book and have grown a little because of it, and I think that many other women would benefit from reading it as well.

Federal Trade Commission regulation compliance notice: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through BookSneeze®. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews. 

No comments: